The Answer Is Here
stock photo
stock photo stock photo

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog InRegister
the files keep getting bigger.
Posted by: charles e pike (IP Logged)
Date: March 6, 2012 02:44PM

I purchased a Panasonic G3 in Jan. I just tried to send 24 tiff files to my account at Photoshelter, and realize that after I have opened done very little P.P. in LR, that the tiff files are around 90mb. It was taking hours to upload to my web page, so stopped the transfer and re uploaded as jpeg's which hasn't taken a lot of time at all.

Clients had been requesting that I have tiff files for them to download when they saw what they wanted, but I have changed back to the way I used to sell. Contact sheet, cover letter, list of files submitted, DVD of jpegs and DVD of tiffs. I have also run into trouble with clients not being able to download files, they have trouble figuring out just how to. And some of them are like me, older and not as versed on the computer as the younger crowd.

Thing is, I have had this same client purchase items that I sent a couple of years ago and sent DVD's to. So they are hanging onto them and using them when they fill there need.

www.photosbypike.com

Re: the files keep getting bigger.
Posted by: kbarrel (IP Logged)
Date: March 7, 2012 04:34PM

Yes, Charles, it's always nice to receive a check for a photo from the "Permanent File", at least that's what we call it around here. You send a DVD with a bunch of targeted photos to the art director at a publishing house and he/she catalogs them and downloads them for possible "later use."
That's the beauty of working with editorisal photobuyers (at publishing companies) --Unless there's an administrative mix-up, they always know who the photo belongs to and what you expect for payment (one-time inside editorial use).

Since each photobuyer at each publighing house is going to have a different in-house system for processing and using images, it's difficult to anticipate just what size and configuration to send them until you get your foot in the door. Once you do, though, it's clear sailing ahead! -Rohn

Posted by: BrianYarvin (IP Logged)
Date: March 8, 2012 05:05AM

Charles:

I'm convinced that your files are growing because you have a setting wrong somewhere. What setting is it? I have no idea. But once again, I have to recommend the boards at DP Review, the best source of tech information I know about.

Try this address:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1006

This is an easy fix for those who know their settings.

Brian Yarvin
Author, Photographer, Educator
http://www.brianyarvin.com

Posted by: John Johnson (IP Logged)
Date: March 8, 2012 01:34PM

Charles- it sounds like your settings are set for the highest resolution(s) and size. The lowest you would want to go would be 8x10 at 300 dpi which would be 18 to 20 megs per photo. --John

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 

Do the math:
37 + 50 =

Make PhotoSource International your start page. Keep up with the news, trends, and announcements in stock photography.
Click here for information on how to make our website the first page on your screen each morning. -Rohn Engh

"The busiest stock photo website on the Internet."

Keep us coming... here's where you go to

Link To Us