The Answer Is Here
stock photo
stock photo stock photo

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog InRegister
Getty Image's 35 million free photos
Posted by: Alice Mumford (IP Logged)
Date: March 9, 2014 12:14PM

Hank Sherber mentioned the Getty Images free 35 million photos giveaway. I think this would disturb alot of photographers, not just the Getty members. What do the Alamy and Corbis people think about this?
Did photostocknotes ever respond to Hank's question?
Alice

Re: Getty Image's 35 million free photos
Posted by: Rohn__Engh (IP Logged)
Date: March 9, 2014 04:04PM

Alice --

Yes, I did respond to the Getty’s innovation. In last Friday’s PhotoStockNOTES. If you’re not on the mailing list of our PhotoStockNOTES “news blog letter” – be sure to sign up, because you’re missing a lot of good information (if you’re a stock photographer) that we cull from the popular and photographic press. You’ll find my omments at the top of last week’s issue, http://tinyurl.com/ng94y43

What seems to be missing from the photo community response on the net is the “real wealth” Getty is gaining from this move. Three things:

1.) a powerful mailing list.

2.) data mining

3.) Public Relations.

This is easy to understand if you look at it not from a photographer’s but from a marketer’s perspective.

Here’s how it works:

1.) Mailing list: Say you are a consumer and need an editorial-use ‘free’ photo of a flower. You register with Getty Images and surrender your email and personal profile details to their database. Now, anytime a flower shop, nursery, seed catalog, or horticultural enterprise needs a targeted mailing list, where can they find one? At Getty Images. Your name is not actually sold but either transferred a.) on an exchange “swap” or b.) rented to a lessee. Getty mails out the promotion, not the renter, which means your address never leaves the massive Getty database. Depending on the target, a rented name can be worth as high as $1. The mailing list can be up-to-date because consumers always come back for more (free) photos in the specialized category of their interest. And, they will be required to update their profile before receiving another free photo. Up-to-date mailing lists are known to be “rented” for an even higher rate, sometimes $5 per name. A good business to be in, eh? Especially if you have control of a trove of 35 million desirable photos.

2.) Data mining: Information gathering algorithms, thanks to the cyber world, has arrived at a stage where big business can make big decisions on big data immediately available to them. Getty Image’s move to “the free” model is an example. By the way, actuaries (bean counters for risk-management) now earn salaries equivalent to or higher than the sales manager. This kind of data, thanks to the free-photos concept, can analyze exactly what kind of photos the public wants to see. Getty will now assign its members to take photos, not according to the guru art director, but the actuary’s data.

3.) Public Relations: This move is priceless for Getty Images. Forget those ugly threat letters or legal department costs to both impoverished innocent infringers and to Getty Images, too. They’re gone. Getty wears a white hat now. However, what is left is more eroding of the confidence of its infuriated photographers. Who? Oh yes, we forgot. But they don’t buy photos. They've been left out of the algorithm. Getty will have to draw them back in.

-RE

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 03/26/14 11:43AM by kbarrel.

Posted by: Marion Wembly (IP Logged)
Date: March 10, 2014 05:15PM

this is interesting. But where do we go to sign up to use one of these free images? Marion

Posted by: Rohn_Engh (IP Logged)
Date: March 12, 2014 12:21PM

Marion – If you have a blog, website, or other medium that you produce that is not commercial, GettyImages will allow you to use photos (35 million) that they have designated as useable by the public for editorial purposes. Here’s how you do it.
1.) go to the site: www.gettyimages.com
2.) in the search bar type in a request (use keywords that will describe the image you’d like to use.).
3.) A series of photos similar to your request will come up. Scroll down to review a selection.
4.) Choose the image that you like and then let your mouse hover over the chosen image. If it has this sign… below the image, click on the sign and copy the HTML code that comes up and
5.) paste the HTML code that you copied into the source code of your website or your blog post, or other project. Voila!
6.) If you are familiar with coding, you can place your image where you want it to go. You can also easily change the size (bigger or smaller) of the image other than the default size GettyImages delivers to you. –RE

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 03/12/14 12:25PM by kbarrel.

Posted by: Alice Mumford (IP Logged)
Date: April 1, 2014 04:08PM

I notice that the pro photographer business coach Beate Chellete also gives attention to the 35 million free photos Getty is giving away. I don't know if I spelled her name right but I know that she once had a photo stock photos site herself a couple years ago, and sold it to, I think, Getty or someone like that for 7 (seven) figures. Here's her blog site: http://www.photobizcoach.com/ Alice

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 

Do the math:
29 + 24 =

PS: The spammers can't borrow your email address from the Kracker Barrel
because we don't require it, -so jump in and let's hear your comments. Use your
real name or anonymous name. Neither is required. Let's learn from each other.

Make PhotoSource International your start page. Keep up with the news, trends, and announcements in stock photography.
Click here for information on how to make our website the first page on your screen each morning. -Rohn Engh

"The busiest stock photo website on the Internet."

Keep us coming... here's where you go to

Link To Us